Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ice Club Regatta March 13 and 14th


There are going to be ice boat races on the lake tomorrow(Friday) and Saturday with participants from all over. If you haven't had the chance to see ice boats in action now is the time. The boats included are the Skeeter and Knight classes. I don't know if DN will be included. Ice boating can be pretty exciting to watch(if the wind cooperates)and great for the photographers out there. The boats will be using the inlet as the home base. I believe the Ice Yacht Club will have people there selling Chili. For those of you old enough to remember, in 1963 ABC Wild World of Sports was here film a regatta. It was pretty great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the 1963 races on TV. My husband was stationed in New Port R.I> and I saw it come on TV I was so excited I wrote the Green Lake paper to tell everyone about seeing it. Those were the days!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chief, The School and City elections are coming up in about three weeks. Lets get a post out about these important elections.

fibs said...

Patti and Mark will come from chgo

Anonymous said...

Here is a little blurb from ESPN's website which chronicle's Wide World of Sports shows:

FEBRUARY 1, 1964 -- Show that lives up to the billing of the constant variety of sport: Championship Tarpon Fishing from Big Pine Key, Florida and National Ice Boat Racing from Green Lake, Wisconsin.

Pretty neat stuff for anyone who has ever seen footage from "back in the day". If you can find the film you'll get to see Green Lake's own "Little Danny Bierman" ice boating (he hasn't changed a bit).

Green Lake Zobel Park Rec Fund

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
You aren't local until you have at least three generations in the cemetery.