Sunday, January 16, 2011

Its Not Ready Yet

GREEN LAKE — Three men were rescued Friday from Big Green Lake after their ice shanty broke through the ice.

The men involved were found safe and dry shortly after 12:30 p.m., according to a press release from the Green Lake County Sheriff's Department.

The men were maneuvering an ice shanty south and east of Hattie Sherwood Beach, just south of the city of Green Lake in the township of Brooklyn when the shanty broke through the ice, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Also responding to the scene were Green Lake police, Green Lake Fire Department, Ripon Guardian Ambulance, Brooklyn First Responders and Princeton Water/Ice Rescue.

Green Lake Chief Sheriff Mark Putzke reminds citizens to exercise caution and good judgment while out on any frozen body of water.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been noticing how many of those shanties are very close to open water. In my opinion "good judgment" and "ice fishing" don't usually go together!

I am thankful that the three men were safely rescued.

Anonymous said...

How many ice shanties do you think are at the bottom of the lake?

Anonymous said...

Somebody told me that this was Chuck Mirr's ice shanty. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Even if the shanties are at the bottom of the lake, the owners are required to remove them somehow, otherwise they get a huge fine for pollution or whatever they want to call it.

Anonymous said...

I heard it was Chuck Mirr's shanty too. Wasn't there open water where they were "maneuvering" it last week. Maybe next time they should add pontoons to the bottom of the ice shanty!

Anonymous said...

I find it every interesting that the Green Lake Reporter did not have the names of the three men involved at press time. So the shanty went thru the ice on Friday. The paper goes to press on Tuesday or Wednesday. Five days is not enough time for a reporter to ask who the three men were? I don't believe that.

I think the paper is not being honest about this.

Anonymous said...

I saw Green Lake Public Works driving around picking up people's christmas trees, anyone want to complain about that like they do about everything else

Anonymous said...

I can complain all I want to, if I have valid things to complain about. There is no room for complacency in the midst of mediocrity. No complaints about the Christmas tree pickup. I would like the garbage collector to place my containers back on my own property (where they were) and not toss them in the street. I have also noticed that Glen McCarty is not capable of driving unless he is talking on his phone at the same time. I realize that he is multi-tasking, but if his job requires him to talk while driving, then he needs to get a blue tooth. Also, as a public official, McCarty should learn to STOP at stop signs and not just roll through them without even slowing down. Let's set a good example, Glen.

So how's my complaining now? Really, you shouldn't provoke me and get me started.

Green Lake Zobel Park Rec Fund

About Me

My photo
You aren't local until you have at least three generations in the cemetery.